Welcome to the Highlander Studios blog.

I won't promise any earth shattering revelations here. What I will be trying to do is post some new products as I release them, share some thoughts on gaming and show some pics of games and other stuff that I enjoy. So come in and make yourselves at home.


Wednesday, July 4, 2012

It's you and me. Ain't that right, John?


     One of my favorite scenes from a western movie is the fist fight in Young Guns. There's the set up early on when Charlie explains that he's a pugilist. Then the fight at the dance and Billy's one word line, "Pugilist," after. There's really no explaining why some things stick or become a favored memory, but there it is.

    I'm wrapping up the week's projects with number five. Victorian pugilists.


    I started with a couple of photos of actual fighters of the time. Frank "Paddy" Slavin and some unknown.


    Then I found this incredible sculpt. I don't know the scale, but it looks like a 12-15" sketch for a larger bronze.


    That really got me stoked to work on these guys. So I ended up with two Victorian pugilists in 15mm.


    I'm not sure when they'll be available. I'll have these cast soon, but I may want to add more to the set. There are some boxing rules from Two Hour Wargames that would probably work well with these guys, but I'm going to dig out an old set that Ed did called Smokers. It was more for back room bare knuckle fights.





14 comments:

Allison M. said...

Nice work. Finally, I'll be able to make my 15mm-scale "Stag at Sharkey's" diorama...

Rodrick Campbell said...

Stag at Sharkey's? Sounds cool. link me some pictures when it gets done.

Unknown said...

Just out of curiosity, are there any plans to do these in larger scales? As a huge fan of 28-32mm pulp, I'd love to see these gentlemen on the streets of Chicago in the roaring 20's, for example.

Evilcartoonist said...

I love Stag at Sharkey's. And these are some great figures. I prefer 28-32s as well, but these are just fine in 15.

Stag at Sharkey's: http://lh4.ggpht.com/-ejwP4b_rc08/TnFetEBey9I/AAAAAAAGIWU/av0Ec94hSLQ/Bellows%25252C%252520Stag%252520at%252520Sharkey%252527s%2525201909.jpg

Mr. Mahon said...

Smokers? Was the ruleset released at all? I can't recall it being released....

And the minis are great. Can't wait to see them available!

Anonymous said...

These are too cool! I can't wait to own 'em.

Rodrick Campbell said...

Mahon, Smokers was a rule set, Ed never released. He worked on it for a while and then set it aside. Some of us got play test copies, but that's as far as it went.

He's working on an updated version which uses the RSBS mechanics.

Rodrick Campbell said...

Jose, No plans to do larger scales of these guys. They'd be fun to sculpt but simply aren't a viable money maker unless some 28mm company wanted to pay me to sculpt them.

They aren't really viable in 15mm either, but the time put into sculpting is a lot less and I may make the $75 mold fee back in 5-10 years.

Anonymous said...

I love "this incredible sculpt" that is a "sketch for a larger bronze." Where did you find it? I would love to buy it!

Rodrick Campbell said...

I can't find the original post of that picture. The link provided by an image search doesn't work.

Unknown said...

Please tell me I can still get a hold of a set of these, or at least the bald guy!?

Daniel

Unknown said...

Love it! Only we really need such models for 28mm Gangland/ mob wars type gaming. Not to mention the Pulp fiction, Wild West and Victorian/ Steam Punk genres. I personally hope to put together rules for a Gangs Of New York styled game. What I like is that you never see simple tough guys(or even non-tough guys)without weapons. It would be great to have casts of characters like these just standing or walking around and being menacing or even just drinking or leaning against a wall. Please make some in 28mm? I'm very interested!

Ulrik the Fell Handed. said...

I know this is several years down the line, but is there any way to get a hold of this set, or at least the bald fellow?

Anonymous said...

It's actually "You and I."