Welcome to the Highlander Studios blog.

I won't promise any earth shattering revelations here. What I will be trying to do is post some new products as I release them, share some thoughts on gaming and show some pics of games and other stuff that I enjoy. So come in and make yourselves at home.


Monday, April 29, 2013

Sons of Ares Get New Equipment


     I've been using Rebel Minis Sahadeen for my Sons of Ares separatists on Mars for several years. Most of the scenarios have involved highly out-gunned Martians defending field camps and attacking convoys to get weapons to sustain the fight. Earth Force loyalists usually have all the cool toys.

     I decided that the campaign world storyline involves the Sons of Ares gearing up for limited production of lower tech vehicles. So I started scouting around for suitable models. I've considered using WWII German or Russian vehicles with some minor conversion, but all my current models are pulling duty as actual WWII vehicles.

    On a late night trip to Wal Mart for groceries I wandered through the toy aisle. Yes, I know, groceries aren't usually to be found in the toy section, but one must check to be sure. Anyway, the Matchbox line had some interesting vehicles pushed to the front of the pegs this time.

     My first find was the Coyote 500.


     Rugged looking, boxy, low tech looking enough without being instantly recognizable as a blast from Earth's past. Add a gun turret and a few cosmetic modifications and I have a couple of good gun buggies for my martians. The vehicle is slightly over scale for 15mm, but it looks like it could carry a small squad or fire team with no problem.

     My second find was the Rock Shocker.


     Originally designed as a BMX rescue vehicle, it looks like the addition of Katyusha style rockets on the back and a few more cosmetic changes would turn this into a great all terrain rocket truck.

     Now the next piece is not specific to the separatists. I was at a comic sale on Saturday where they had a bin of toy parts. I found a... well... something.


     I don't know what toy this came from and frankly I don't care. This just screams atmosphere generator to me. Again, with a few modifications and a new paint job, this will make a great scenario objective for an attack/ defend game. Or just a nice set piece for any other sci-fi game I want to run.

     So for a total cost of $4.50 for all 5 pieces, I have some great new toys for future games. I'll post more photos as I complete their transformations.

2 comments:

Gunrunner said...

Some handy looking additions there Rod- looking forward to the painting of them!

Jay said...

Wow, the "atmosphere-thingy" is a fine piece of modeling treasure!